[Development] Change in open-source licensing of Qt Wayland Compositor, Qt Application Manager and Qt PDF

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 11 03:31:55 CEST 2019

Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> FWIW, that tarball already contains code under various licenses (BSD, LGPL
> 2.1, LGPL 3/GPL 2/Commercial, Apache 2.0, MIT, MPL 2, etc.)

Sure, but those are all non-copyleft or weak-copyleft licenses, compatible
with most application licenses out there. The LGPL is the most restrictive
license of those.

And there is actually already some GPL-only code somewhere in the tarball,
but the essential difference is that that GPL-only code does not actually
get linked to client applications (but is for build tools, examples, or the
like), unlike the new Qt PDF, which is designed specifically for that
purpose (i.e., getting linked into client applications).

For the record, the QtWebEngine license list we determined for Fedora is:
License: (LGPLv2 with exceptions or GPLv3 with exceptions) and BSD and
LGPLv2+ and ASL 2.0 and IJG and MIT and GPLv2+ and ISC and OpenSSL and
(MPLv1.1 or GPLv2 or LGPLv2)

        Kevin Kofler