[Development] The age-old T* foo vs. T *foo

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Oct 19 04:50:04 CEST 2019

On Friday, 18 October 2019 09:18:05 PDT Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> > Make git move the star for you at checkout time (similarly to its CRLF
> > options). Git "just" needs C++ code model support.
>
> No it doesn't, regular smudge/clean filters can do the work (e.g. by calling
> clang-format)

The problem with this is that our current code does is not clean according to
that clean filter. So making a modification to a file would mean reformatting
everything, which will not be accepted in code review.

Another problem is dealing with line numbers obtained from other people, like
backtraces, or just plain looking at past history via git show and git blame.
You *have* to deal with the original.