[Development] Proposal for an efficient and robust (de)serialization mechanism working with Qt-supported data

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Tue Sep 3 17:24:32 CEST 2019

> > Suggestions:
> > pack, wad (another indirect Doom reference), bale, herd, doss,
> > transfigure (probably too long)
>
> I cannot resist to suggest QTransmogrifier 😊 [1]
> Seriously, QBind is akin to GUI data binding and SQL parameter binding but more specialized so I would just pick a more descriptive name. Also, since it is a generic function class (not a functor), I would keep the verb Bind in it. And since it addresses only values (object graphs must be somehow encoded before they can be 'bound'), I suggest:
> - QValueBind (= QBind, the generic function class with bind(QValue&& v, T t) overloads)
> - using QValue = Val<Cursor> as the start point of the fluent interface allowing to describe any T 'value' in a generic way
>
> I am also not comfortable with 'Cursor' (a non-owning unique pointer used to bypass illegal or useless calls to the fluent interface) which conflicts with the usual definition of SQL cursors.

You know, I was really tempted to suggest Transmogrifier but thought I would be the only one. I really do think it's a great name! Just a little too long. That said, it is an awesome name and very unique can't can't be mistaken for being anything else.

However "bindvalue" (the transposition of [value, bind]) is already a thing. https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qsqlquery.html#bindValue , Which I would like to avoid because there could be serialization to SQL..

Thought of another one, "flow"