[Development] Qt Creatror can require a patched Clang build?

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Sep 10 12:35:05 CEST 2019

To put some perspective on this:

The ClangFormat plugin which this is about is an optional plugin, disabled by default, that uses the clangformat library directly for code formatting.
It should build against upstream LLVM, but will not load in that case (with a warning) even _if_ it was enabled explicitly.
Afaik Ivan tried to upstream the patch and it is lying around there, someone would need to push that forward again.

Similar functionality of “using clangformat to format code” is also available via the Beautifier plugin, which uses an arbitrary external clangformat executable. That is less tightly integrated (doesn’t format while typing), but has the advantage that you can freely choose the clangformat version.

So, to sum this up, the ClangFormat plugin is currently neither an essential component of Qt Creator, nor do you loose much in terms of functionality if you don’t have it.

> On 9. Sep 2019, at 23:20, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Monday, 9 September 2019 14:07:59 PDT Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
> wrote:
>> Is this acceptable? I really think it is not, but...
>
> It's not. Requiring people to build LLVM + Clang, whcih is huge, is not
> something we should do.
>
> Please work around.
>
> --
>  Software Architect - Intel System Software Products

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Erich-Thilo-Straße 10