[Development] Updating/changing "default" branch for qtbase repository

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Mon Sep 16 14:10:51 CEST 2019

On 16 Sep 2019, at 13:26, Albert Astals Cid via Development <development at qt-project.org<mailto:development at qt-project.org>> wrote:

El dilluns, 16 de setembre de 2019, a les 13:22:22 CEST, Frederik Gladhorn va
escriure:
On mandag 16. september 2019 12:22:06 CEST Edward Welbourne wrote:
Albert Astals Cid (16 September 2019 11:33) wrote:
If i do

 git clone ssh://myuser@codereview.qt-project.org/qt/qtbase

I get branch 5.12

Given that 5.12 is now on cherry-pick mode (AFAIK) would it make more
sense to default to branch 5.13?

We have a history of setting a release branch (stable, I think; perhaps
LTS) as the default branch in our repositories.  This means that anyone
who mirrors our repositories gets that as their default branch (unless /
until they update it).  I don't see this as a good choice: getting dev
on the branches that have it would make more sense.

IIUC, the rationale for the present practice is that we want to make it
easier for folk who send us fixes.  I honestly doubt we'd suffer harm by
having fixes sent to us on dev a bit more often (and other changes, that
*do* belong on dev, being sent first to another branch would surely
happen less often); reviewers can surely help the contributor get it
onto the right branch, if there's a good reason why dev isn't good
enough.

... now, where have I met this discussion recently ?
I'm quite sure I have, but can't remember where ...

I also had a chat about this recently and the Gerrit admins in general don't
really fell like constantly changing the default branch, so I'd be much in
favor of just moving all default branches to dev.

Same here, i think dev makes sense too, but didn't want to propose something
so radical myself ^_^

+1 for having it pointing to dev and never changing it again. It’s also more in line with most other git repos out there :)

Cheers,
Lars

Cheers,
 Albert

In my opinion we should mostly care about the dev branch, since that's where
all future development needs to happen. Moving changes back into older
releases can of course be important, but that's not what most people should
have to worry about.

Cheers,
Frederik

Eddy.

Albert Astals Cid | albert.astals.cid at kdab.com<mailto:albert.astals.cid at kdab.com> | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts