[Development] Updating/changing "default" branch for qtbase repository

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Tue Sep 17 11:49:02 CEST 2019

On 17.09.19 11:27, Kevin Funk via Development wrote:
> OT: Out of curiosity: Why was "dev" chosen over "master" as main development
> branch in the first place? What's the benefit? This is also something which
> might confuse new contributors easily, as it's not the Git standard
> nomenclature.
>
> If we ever wanted to change that, then now would be the time.
>
> I'm sure this has been answered else where but I can't find a hint of it.

I did a bit of digging, it was all discussed in this thread:
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-September/006691.html
And the answer to the question is at the beginning of this mail:
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-September/006697.html

Long story short: For Qt 5, Qt went to a dev/stable/release model without
branch for specific version numbers. With the default branch being 'stable'.
And dev was not named master because 'master' is usually the default branch and
a different name was there to indicate that it is not the default.

--
Olivier