[Development] RFC: handling of C++ feature test macros

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Sep 18 01:37:57 CEST 2019

On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 16:05:34 PDT Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development
wrote:
> While I agree that at the moment it has virtually never happened, it
> doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future. Even today we have
> compilers such as MSVC with "living on the edge" compile flags
> (/c++latest). Our users can use those, and thus potentially trigger
> codepaths that on their specific compiler version are implemented in a
> pre-Standard way.
>
> So, how academic (I think should I say paranoid...) do we want to be?

Marc's proposal is that we should accept that these things are rare and simply
correct when they do happen. Since our code is tested with the currently
latest versions of all compilers, we're fairly sure that any such macro works
with the compilers that currently support the feature.

When a new compiler comes out with the feature, we may get compilation errors.
Our users understand that we cannot test things that don't exist, so older
versions can fail to compile on new compilers (or produce a lot of warnings).
Issuing fixes is enough.