[Development] INTEGRITY

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Thu Sep 19 21:14:36 CEST 2019

On 19/09/2019 21:01, André Pönitz wrote:
> "Is it worth" is exactly the question that should drive this kind of discussion.
> And it can be answered_after_  evaluating, or even guessing the "value" of the
> available options.

It's not so easy: I, for once, don't have access to INTEGRITY to do any
a priori evaluation of the technical feasibility of a solution.

I can test and evaluate the other platforms, though. My webgradient
patch will improve the situation on *ALL* platforms because it removes
(quoting):

> * the binary json representation from QtGui's resources (~4KB
> compressed, ~50KB uncompressed)
> * the overhead of reading from the JSON for each used web
> gradient;
> * the startup costs of registering the webgradients in the
> resources;
> * all the overhead of mutex locking when building such
> gradients;
> * all the runtime memory allocations to load, parse and cache
> the web gradients (including the memory + CPU spike on first
> load due to the uncompression of the JSON data, as well as a
> couple of deep copies).

But it cannot go in in Qt 5 because INTEGRITY does not implement C++11's
constexpr.

Is it worth it? YES.

My 2 c,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts