[Development] Finishing the transition to the cherry-pick model

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Sat Apr 18 11:33:23 CEST 2020

> On 17 Apr 2020, at 18:21, Oswald Buddenhagen <oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 01:31:04PM +0000, Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
>> To clarify, we don’t “disable merging”, we turn off the bot. People with the privilege to push merge commits can in theory continue to do so forever.
>>
> yes, but mixing merges and cherry-picks is, and remains, bad. why do you artificially create a situation where just that happens _by design_? i don't buy the effort argument - i'm sure the bots can be reconfigured within a few minutes.

This is not just about how long it takes to configure bots.

It has in the recent past taken days and weeks to complete a merge from qtbase/5.15 into dev. There is no reason to believe that the next merges will not have any conflicts that require some work.

We do not want more change to go into 5.15 while working on those final forward merges. No cherry-picks, and no original commits either. Hence the request to finish the pending commits for 5.15, and to target dev with anything new.

So, I don’t see how we end up with a mix of merges and cherry-picks, unless we screw up. We enable cherry-picking once the final merge is done. Changes that made it to dev and should be cherry-picked, but weren’t because because the bot wasn’t enabled, can be easily cherry-picked down manually by anyone, at any time, after the final merge.

That’s going to be a very limited number of changes that we can easily manage, esp since Qt 5.15 is in a tightly managed state anyway during the last couple of days before the release.

Volker