[Development] Proposal: Deprecate QVector in Qt 6

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:10:58 CEST 2020

On 23/04/2020 05.30, Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 at 12:25, Philippe wrote:
>> QList is historically a cause of ambiguity, and Qt6 is the chance to get rid of that.
>
> Indeed. In Qt5, QList is sometimes a list,
> sometimes a vector, but in Qt6 it's never a list.

Correction: in Qt5, it is sometimes a vector, and sometimes a
vector-like container that uses indirect storage. It is never a linked
list (although the latter may be somewhat more list-like than vector-like).

...and are we just missing that container type in Qt6?

> I would think the better approach would be to keep dev as it is, and
> deprecate and eventually remove QList.
Can we please *not* get rid of a useful container type that has no STL
equivalent?

--
Matthew