[Development] Proposal: Deprecate QVector in Qt 6

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Fri Apr 24 12:36:50 CEST 2020

On 4/23/20 11:10 PM, Vitaly Fanaskov wrote:
>> Moving to one year release approach doesn't equal to make Qt less stable.

Ville:
> Of course it does, if we now allow API breaks every year.

Not necessarily: if we *allow* API breaks every year *but* are
restrained in our use of them - so that, in fact, over a given ten year
period, we only make as many API breaks; we just spread them out over
time more evenly - then we'd be no less stable; and it'd be easier for
client code maintainers to keep up with our major version updates,
because they'd be smaller.

Of course, whether we actually *would* exercise that restraint is an
open question; I have my doubts.

Giuseppe D'Angelo (24 April 2020 10:19) asked
> Which "one year release approach" are we talking about here?

That would be Vitaly's proposal to have major releases yearly.

	Eddy.