[Development] RFC: Defaulting to or enforcing UTF-8 locales on Unix systems

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Apr 27 18:13:43 CEST 2020

On Sunday, 26 April 2020 09:22:00 PDT Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Thursday, 31 October 2019 14:11:05 PDT Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Re: https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/275152 (WIP: Move
> > QTextCodec support out of QtCore)
> > See also: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0538/
> >
> >         https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0540/
>
> Just sending to the mailing list to get more attention:
>
> The change above cannot integrate because the new warning breaks the QtTest
> self-tests because the environment where the tests are run is not UTF-8. Can
> the CI be fixed, please?

Apologies, I replied thinking the link above was to my change, but that was
Rainer's that has since been superseded by Lars's. The change I want to
integrate is:

https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/282359

The error from the CI is:

 FAIL!  : tst_Selftests::runSubTest(assert lightxml + stdout junitxml)
'err.isEmpty()' returned FALSE. (Detected system locale encoding (US-ASCII,
locale "C") is not UTF-8.
Qt shall use a UTF-8 locale ("UTF-8") instead. If this causes problems,
reconfigure your locale. See the locale(1) manual for more information.
)

Note this warning is on a Mac, which is an UTF-8 system. Can the CI please set
up the environment properly?