[Development] qmake: qmltest missing in Qt6

Alexandru Croitor alexandru.croitor at qt.io
Mon Aug 10 11:29:17 CEST 2020

> On 9. Aug 2020, at 19:57, Arno Rehn <a.rehn at menlosystems.com> wrote:
>
> Hey everybody,

Hi,

> I'm trying to port over qtwebchannel from qmake to CMake, so we can
> hopefully include it in Qt 6.1 again. The problem is that I can't get
> the unit tests going with the old qmake system against current qt6 dev. I'd like to have something working which I can then port.
>
> The error message from qmake is just:
>> Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: qmltest
>
> It seems to have its root in cause in mkspecs/features/qmltestcase.prf,
> where it reads
>> mkspecs/features/qmltestcase.prf:    QT += qml qmltest

In this scenario, are you building Qt 6 with qmake or CMake?

Running qmake tests with a CMake-built Qt is not officially supported at the moment.

I suggest trying to build both Qt and the tests with qmake for now (in case you aren't doing that).
If you are, I can't really say why qmltest doesn't work for you.

> Is this a regression? I thought that qmake should still be supported with Qt6, even though Qt itself has switched to CMake.
> Any ideas?

qmake will be shipped with Qt 6 if Qt itself is built with CMake. But it will only support user projects that don't use private qmake API (think qt_module.prf, etc).

I'm not sure yet where qmltest lies in that area.