[Development] qsizetype and classes working with QStrings or QList

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:04:07 CEST 2020

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 at 10:50, Mathias Hasselmann
<mathias at taschenorakel.de> wrote:

> Am 24.08.2020 um 09:26 schrieb Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development:
>
> On 23/08/2020 16:06, Marcel Krems wrote:
>
> If they keep using int there could be a lot of warnings like this one:
> warning: implicit conversion loses integer precision: 'qsizetype' (aka
> 'long long') to 'int' [-Wshorten-64-to-32]
>

> I'm afraid that these warnings will be all over the place anyhow. Just how much code has been written against int-based APIs? (For the record, that's why I wanted a configure time switch to choose the size of qsizetype).
>
> But anyhow: yes, as a consistency factor, as many APIs as possible should be ported to qsizetype. Could you please file a bug report?
>
> C++ also has a solution for that problem:  https://herbsutter.com/2013/08/12/gotw-94-solution-aaa-style-almost-always-auto/

That non-solution is terrible. The very reason for not using deduced
types is to detect API breaks loudly.
The warning does that in dulcet tones, not as loudly as some might
wish because the conversion is implicit.
Buying the AAA snake oil can move the problem elsewhere for a while,
but it's not helpful; it's partially
hiding an API break, and it's unlikely that you want that to continue;
the manifestations of the API break
are going to appear further away from the spots where they could be
first detected.