[Development] qsizetype and classes working with QStrings or QList

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Wed Aug 26 09:22:57 CEST 2020

> On 26 Aug 2020, at 09:07, Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 09:39, Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io> wrote:
>>> QtGui:
>>> * QTextCursor
>>> * QTextDocument (find offset, character{At,Count})
>>> * QTextLayout
>>> * QValidator and subclasses (validate offset)
>>
>> These here are questionable. Editing a text file with more than 2G characters? Sounds unlikely.
>
> Thou Shalt Not Write Debug Log Viewers Or Hex Editors With Qt. :)

Porting that API might not be too much of a problem, I don’t think we have virtual methods in there taking offsets.

But QTextDocument is probably not the right data structure for a hex editor or a log viewer anyway (why would you store a hex in clear text instead of decoding on the fly???).

Cheers,
Lars