[Development] qsizetype and classes working with QStrings or QList

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Wed Aug 26 21:58:09 CEST 2020

From: Development <development-bounces at qt-project.org> On Behalf Of Ville Voutilainen
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 12:08 AM
To: Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io>
Subject: Re: [Development] qsizetype and classes working with QStrings or QList

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 09:39, Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io> wrote:
> > QtGui:
> > * QTextCursor
> > * QTextDocument (find offset, character{At,Count})
> > * QTextLayout
> > * QValidator and subclasses (validate offset)
>
> These here are questionable. Editing a text file with more than 2G characters? Sounds unlikely.

Disagree here.  There is good reason many in my industry (Electronic design automation) use the Scintilla editor widget inside Qt apps.  Specifically to handle extremely large, in both line count and column count, files.

Many of the text files we work with, are generated library definitions for silicon definitions.  A 5+ gb file is not uncommon.  Or files with a truth table definition with 5000-1000 columns.  I kid you not.

Its one thing to not handle it, and say "too big to open" its another to attempt to and crash because the internal integers cant handle it.

Scintilla handles these massive files relatively easily.

Scott