[Development] qsizetype and classes working with QStrings or QList

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 27 16:47:27 CEST 2020

On Thursday, 27 August 2020 00:52:10 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:

> If I were do design these from scratch, I would certainly use qsizetype
> here, maybe even a qint64 (because one can handle those large data sets on
> 32bit systems as well with on demand loading of the data).

Good point. File sizes are qint64, so I agree any quantity that is tied to
data, not to memory, should either use int or qint64.

So, can someone take a look at what it would take to make the models use 64-
bit and come up with a proper guide for how to maintain code that compiles and
works on both Qt5 and Qt6? The latter is very important: if you can't easily
maintain for both, we just add to users' pain. It might be as simple as a
typedef added to QAbstractItemModel.

Like the q6sizetype typedef that was proposed and I never implemented.