[Development] QCalendar and QCalendarBackend questions

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Dec 26 20:56:31 CET 2020

On Friday, 25 December 2020 13:40:22 -03 Wang Gary wrote:
> The first issue is, in order to get QCalendar support a new
> calendar system, it seems like I need to subclass
> QCalendarBackend first, which is a private Qt API. Is that correct?
> If so, is there any plan to make it public? If not, I hope there can
> be a way to add custom calendar systems in a way similar to
> what Qt's imageformats plugin does.

There are no current plans. Just add it to Qt, if it is useful. I don't think
we should accept obsolete, fictional, or similar calendars, but if your
proposal of Chinese Lunar calendar actually has uses, we should simply have it
in QtCore.

> The second issue is, for example, Traditional Chinese calendar
> have their own (localized) day name, the first day of a month
> names "初一" and the 22nd day of the month names "廿二". It
> seems there are functions that can be used to get the localized
> month name and weekday name, but seems there is no function
> provided to get a localized day name. Is that correct? If so, can
> we add such a feature to QCalendar?

The question there is where we'd get the l10n data in the first place. Is it
in ICU?

> By the way, is there any plan to introduce the Chinese calendar
> system support in official Qt release?

I think this is the beginning of such a discussion right now!

> Thanks for reading and have a nice holiday

And soon a happy New (Gregorian) Year. We can also celebrate a New Julian Year
in 3 weeks.