[Development] The future of smart pointers in Qt API

Daniel Teske qt at squorn.de
Sun Feb 2 12:00:53 CET 2020

> Pros I can see:
> 1) Qt style
> STL has different naming convention that looks alien to Qt API. It leads to inconsistency.

The "Qt projects not using the standard library" era is over and the
sooner that is understood the better. That inconsistency is just
something to get used too

Qt does not duplicate:

std::optional
std::tuple
std::function
ranges
algorithms
parallel algorithms

All of them are great features that I would expect every Qt project to
have some use for.

This list will grow in the future because C++ evolution is quite a bit
faster then in the past. This isn't just that the standard gains
features faster, but that compilers implement them immediately and from
my experience these features are adopted in the industry.

In the future mixing Qt and standard classes will be even more common.

The important question for Qt is: How to leverage the evolution of
standard C++ for the best combined offering.

daniel