[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Andras Mantia andras.mantia at kdab.com
Mon Feb 3 09:55:04 CET 2020

Hey,

On Monday, February 3, 2020 10:28:53 AM EET Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 at 08:58, Bogdan Vatra <bogdan.vatra at kdab.com> wrote:
> > > Qt installer resumes downloads after a network connection break.
> > > apt-get does not. :)
> > >
> >   You must be kidding, apt it's (one of) the best package manager! It
> >   resumes
> >
> > the download(s) from the same point from where the connection dropped.
>
> Ah, I must have used apt-get with bad servers that didn't accept a
> resume, then. But hey,
> Qt installer doesn't even abort, it hangs around, and you can do a
> "suspend your laptop, go
> home, resume the computer and resume the download too" as if nothing
> happened, whereas
> apt-get will not do that. :P

One thing with the online installer is that for whatever reason tends to pick
up slow mirrors, resulting sometimes in a very slow download, thus
installations taking 30+ minutes (on a fast connection). Many times I ended up
just using internally mirrored offline installers.

Andras

--
András Mantia | andras.mantia at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)