[Development] The future of smart pointers in Qt API

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Tue Feb 4 07:54:02 CET 2020

> On 3 Feb 2020, at 17:59, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> Recently this has caused me much consternation. I think QtQuick everything should have a parent, and a visual parent, though I appreciate how tedious this would be. They should be the same except when they can't and having separate properties would highlight that.

And I’ve always seen it as pure overhead to separate visual parent from object parent.  (Every Item will be a little smaller when we get rid of that extra pointer.  It remains to be seen how noticeable that will be.)  If it was good for widgets for all those years to have only one hierarchy, why not in Qt Quick?  Coming from widgets to Quick and having such a fundamental thing be different is also confusing.

So what do you see as the upside?