[Development] The future of smart pointers in Qt API

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Tue Feb 4 20:08:16 CET 2020

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 03:52:34PM +0000, Vitaly Fanaskov wrote:

> I also don't think that this is something we should worry about when
> discussing adding smart pointers.

I think I've still not understood what "adding smart pointers" means when you use
the term. Right now my impression is that you want to use them in new API only.
While that would not stomp on my toes directly, it sounds a bit like creating a
mess when it comes to API uniformity. And that is (was?) one of the few actual
advantages of Qt.

While I am unlikely to leave the "there's no problem to solve" camp anytime
soon here, for me Daniel's approach has the distinctive charm of maintaining
API uniformity *and* trying really hard to be minimally invasive. That's two
*huge* advantages in my book.

Andre'