[Development] [Releasing] HEADS-UP: Qt 5.15 Feature Freeze is in effect now

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 20:50:20 CET 2020

Den tors 6 feb. 2020 kl 20:36 skrev André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de>:

> On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 01:51:17PM +0000, Alex Blasche wrote:
> >
> > > -----Original Message----- From: Development
> > > <development-bounces at qt-project.org> On Behalf Of Thiago Macieira

> > > Which is the opposite of QProcess and violates the naming convention. Signals
> > > are named after verbs in the past tense and properties & property getters are
> > > simple nouns. So "error" is the getter, "errorOccurred" is the signal.
> >
> > Either option solves the ambiguity. What's more important to our users - a
> > consistent naming convention
> > or an early warning/compile error when adopting Qt 6?
>
> Consistent naming will be beneficial for a much longer time than any
> short term incentive to adopt Qt 6.

I'm with André, please focus on getting it consistent. It's one of the
things I think many love about Q - they can guess what name a function
will have (even without auto-complete).

If this is not done for Qt 6 (a major) release, then what should it be
done? (Never?).

The gotcha introduced can be advertised in the release announcement, I
think that's enough.

My 2 cents.

Elvis