[Development] [Releasing] HEADS-UP: Qt 5.15 Feature Freeze is in effect now

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt Eskil.Abrahamsen-Blomfeldt at qt.io
Fri Feb 7 08:58:21 CET 2020

On 05.02.2020 13:04, Jani Heikkinen wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

You are looking at this from a very different perspective than me, which
is totally understandable.

As a developer of the product, I want a deadline for when I should have
my feature finished. If the deadline is "maybe one month before the
feature freeze, maybe one week, who knows it kind of depends on whether
the CI system is acting up and what other changes your fix happens to be
bundled with", then that makes it impossible to plan anything.

If we estimate, based on statistics, that it will take one month to get
features in, then we should set the feature freeze one month earlier. If
we think it will take one week, then we should set it one week earlier.
At least we should give people a specific date and guarantee that if
they make it in time for this, their change will be in the next release.
If this is one month before the actual feature freeze, then so be it. If
it takes that long to get a change in, then definitely should be very
visible to everyone, including the stake-holders who depend on features
being released when we say.

If it turns out that we miscalculated the estimate, then this should
just cause a delay to the release. It shouldn't cause us to make a
release containing a random set of features based on whoever won the
lottery this time.

I understand that your responsibility is making the release on time, and
late submissions make this difficult, but the way to solve this is to
add the extra slack between the feature freeze and the point where we
can start stabilizing to the release schedule. If we see that changes
that are staged at the freeze date consistently take between 1 day and 1
week to merge because we have broken systems or because so many people
stage their changes at the same time, then that means we have to extend
the period between freeze and release by one week.

> We are doing time based releases so if new feature misses the deadline
> there will be next one coming after few months. It might be quite long
> time for unique feature but on the other hand it isn't really that
> long... Our goal is to cut the schedule between FF and final release,
> not reserving more time there. Ok, currently there is of course some
> buffer in; Release plans are based on previous releases and realized
> schedules there. But we should be able to develop our ways of working
> & our release systems so that we can make that time much shorter. That
> way we could get more time to develop new features.

The next one will be coming after six months in most cases (Qt 5.15 is
special of course). This is a pretty long time. But more importantly,
expecting every single developer in the Qt community to internalize the
flakiness of the CI system or the risk that your change may be rejected
because it happened to be bundled with a broken change is the wrong
angle in my opinion. We would just be distributing the responsibility of
analyzing our release systems to hundreds of people instead of doing it
once, as part of the release planning.

So if you know how long it will typically take for a change to get in,
then why not give people the actual date they should target in order to
be sure to get their changes merged? And if our estimates are wrong,
then we should own that mistake, instead of telling developers that
their changes have missed the deadline because we are unable to provide
working and predictable systems.

The current message to developers is: "You should commit your changes at
some unspecified time before feature freeze, because our systems are
buggy and also designed in a way that cannot guarantee that correct
changes are merged in any given time even if everything works as
intended. We don't know how long before the freeze you should do this,
so hopefully you can find out yourself?"

In my opinion this is chaos, and a lot worse than having a week's delay
on a feature release.

--

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt
Senior Manager, Graphics