[Development] Proposal: more Jira states to track stages of the work on an issue

Lorn Potter lorn.potter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 04:11:29 CET 2020

On 18/2/20 6:03 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I'm with Alexandru here: all ideas to have more states in JIRA start with a
> good intentions, but eventually people stop using them and just transition
> through all stages in one go when they've finished the work. For example,
> people realise they've never changed from Reported to Confirmed before they
> actually submitted the fix and autotest to Gerrit. I often do that and the
> task goes from Reported to Confirmed to In Progress in 5 seconds. With your
> proposal, it would go through yet another state in that period.

Stepping through the interim steps is not a requirement, so it is not
that much difference to go from Reported->In Progress to Reported->In
Review, really.

So the list you have to select from has one more entry to choose from,
is that such a big deal?

> In all projects I know, the fewer state transitions, the better.
>
> What's the harm in leaving the task in In Progress state while it's being
> reviewed?

There is no harm, but being able to better distinguish the main
development phase of a large task from the review stage would benefit
the 'pointy hairs' (I imagine) because the review process timeline is
often out of the control of the developer, and as we all know, often
takes very many iterations. At least that could see that a particular
bug is being held up not by the developer, but by the review process/CI.

It also helps developers as we could search through 'In-Review' bugs to
find interesting bugs that need review.

--
Lorn Potter
Freelance Qt Developer. Platform Maintainer Qt WebAssembly, Maintainer