[Development] Proposal: more Jira states to track stages of the work on an issue

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice.Kalinowski at qt.io
Fri Feb 21 12:55:02 CET 2020

Hi,

Just adding in another vote for introducing a “In Review/Integration” state.
As a disclaimer, I am working in the same team as Eddy.

The reason I see it beneficial is to have better visibility on the progress of working on a certain task. Eddy already made it clear that while something is “in review” or in the process of getting integrated or “waiting for other changes to merge”, there is no active work on this task happening. Defining that as “In Progress” is misleading.

Some people indicated that it feels like pressing a process into the workflow. I would like to highlight that this is absolutely not the case. Neither is this a PM decision or anything alike. It’s simply that recently we figured that with running sprints, the time spend on coding itself is only a fraction of time until a task gets resolved. We have had multiple (maybe even the majority) incidents of tasks running/sliding through multiple sprints, as we were not able to merge.
To repeat, the idea is to improve on the visibility of a state of a task.

Some might now say “Well, if integration (or CI) is the problem, then fix this rather than introduce another state”.
That’s a valid point. But only if there are evident indicators. Personally, I prefer to have metrics proving a point, and that might be one mean to achieve this. Heck, we might even get to a point that this is not needed anymore, as everything goes super smooth (ie 5 minutes from issue raised to integration done reference before). But first, I do not see this happening within the foreseeable future. Secondly, are we really that gridlocked to not change anything at all because it might be revisited at some point?

What I also miss in this thread is a suggestion on how this could be handled differently?
One idea which came up in discussions is to declare an issue as “blocked” while it is waiting for integration. But imho that does not make any sense either. First, because blocked is in the “Open” State, which indicates that no one is currently looking at it at all and the task is free to grab by anyone. Furthermore, “blocked” usually means other external factors to justify this state.

I’d also like to share the link to Atlassian’s workflow proposal on how to create an agile workflow in JIRA.
https://www.atlassian.com/agile/project-management/workflow

Note that this also includes two separate “active” states.

BR,
Maurice