[Development] Qt5.15 deprecating & Qt6 removing QProcess::setupChildProcess

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Feb 21 17:29:54 CET 2020

On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 15:44:24 PST Thiago Macieira wrote:
> $ grep -r 'public QProcess'
> kcoreaddons/src/lib/io/kprocess.h:class KCOREADDONS_EXPORT KProcess : public
> QProcess
> khtml/src/java/kjavaprocess.h:class KJavaProcess : public QProcess //QObject
> kpty/src/kpty.cpp:class UtemptProcess : public QProcess
> kwin/utils.h:class KWIN_EXPORT Process : public QProcess
>
> The first two do not override setupChildProcess, the latter two do.

Do note that the current check means we can't tell that KProcess did not
override setupChildProcess. That means any and ALL users of KProcess will need
to revert to the older, slower, thread-unsafe, non-pidfd implementation.

So let me ask again: can we deprecate setupChildProcess() in Qt 5.15 and
*remove it* in 6.0?