[Development] A modest proposal: disable lower-case keywords (emit, foreach, forever, signals, slots) by default

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Mon Feb 24 09:50:17 CET 2020

On 2020-02-21 17:31, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday, 21 February 2020 03:21:32 PST Ville Voutilainen wrote:
>> Yes, and the name change was discussed but rejected.
>
> Do you know why it was such strong against? Was it, "darn it's too
> late" or
> was it "we don't care"?

Both. I think the argument that Qt uses 'emit' as a macro would have
caught with people at design time. Not so on the last day of the last
meeting before C++20 was to go DIS. That said, it might have even caught
had it only been `bool basic_syncstream::emit()`, because try_emit() was
actually deemed better by some influential people, due to the bool
return type. But the cause was lost when `void
basic_osyncstream::emit()` entered the game, and so we couldn't keep the
stem, we'd have to bikeshed a new verb altogether.

Thanks,
Marc