[Development] Priority field in Jira

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Wed Feb 26 12:25:44 CET 2020

> On 26 Feb 2020, at 11:45, Mitch Curtis <mitch.curtis at qt.io> wrote:

The priority field changes it’s meaning during the lifetime of the bug report:

* in the beginning, it tells us how important it is for the reporter of the bug. This is useful.
* after triaging (which we do regularly, at least in The Qt Company), it tells us how important it is for the Qt Company (and perhaps the Qt community/project at large)

Anything that is still a P0 after triaging should be treated as such: unplanned work that needs to be fixed so urgently that it preempts any planned work.

For everything else: if you are in a team that plans their work weeks based on JIRA tickets, then the priority of a ticket is one piece of information for that planning process.

Not allowing reporters to set priority removes a piece of information, but shouldn’t change anything else, so I’m not convinced that we should limit things by default. If reporters consistently abuse their privilege, in spite of dialogue and feedback, then we might need to find more effective ways to deal with those particular reporters.

Cheers,
Volker