[Development] A modest proposal: disable lower-case keywords (emit, foreach, forever, signals, slots) by default

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Feb 28 19:39:04 CET 2020

On Friday, 28 February 2020 07:24:32 PST Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> We aren't talking about recognizing `emit`. We're talking about being
> able to inspect the following code:
>
>   if (...)
>   {
>      this->update();
>      this->changed();
>   }
>
> ...and recognizing that the former is a "regular" method call, while the
> latter is a signal emission. Which requires a code model that correctly
> identifies the corresponding header *and* understands MOC's
> meta-language. TTBOMK, *no* IDE's (or perhaps only QtC) currently do the
> latter.

That's my point: it's a reasonable feature to ask that any good IDE implement.
Qt is not an irrelevant chunk of C++, so understanding what a signal is and
helping developers is very much in an IDE's scope. At the very least, they
should have a feature to detect whether the function being called is code in
this project, another project, or is generated during the build.

Whether the feature will be implemented is a whole other story. But it's
reasonable to ask.