[Development] Signal naming convention

Max Paperno max-l at wdg.us
Fri Feb 28 21:14:14 CET 2020

On 2/28/2020 2:37 PM, Max Paperno wrote:

> I humbly suggest, in general, that a signal name could be prefixed with
> "sig", "sig_", "signal" or "signal_".  "sigEmptied()" doesn't look
> horrible IMHO, and should work semantically with any verb. Using
> prefixes to signify meaning already has some precedence in C/C++ world
> as well. And lastly even "dumb" syntax highlighters could pick up on
> that pretty easily (even w/out access to, or needing to parse, any
> header files to determine what is a signal), though of course there
> could be *"false positives"* for any other words starting with "sig" (like
> "significantElements()" :) ).

Sorry, "significantElements()" is a bad example of course. The "sig"
would need to be followed by upper case (or "[nal][_]") and be called
w/out a return value (on a new line or at least "standalone" within an
[implied] block like "if (foo) sigEmptied();"). So actually false
positives are probably not very likely.

-Max