[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Jan 27 17:51:54 CET 2020

Hey,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 04:00:48PM +0000, Tuukka Turunen wrote:
> After the change every release of Qt will look like a non-lts release for
> open-source users. Think of Qt 5.14 as an example. It was released in
> December. Today it received the first patch release. There will be more
> before next feature release is out. For open-source user Qt 5.15 will look
> just like Qt 5.14 does.

Except that the next release after Qt 5.15 won't be 5.16 but Qt 6.

How does the transition story for open source projects look there? If the
(security) support for Qt 5.15 is dropped as soon as Qt 6 is released, does
that mean projects would have to migrate immediately? What if they are using
third-party libraries which need to be migrated first?

I'm aware that Qt 5 -> Qt 6 is supposed to be a manageable change (and smaller
than 3 -> 4 or 4 -> 5). But still, expecting projects to essentially have
migrated before Qt 6 is released isn't exactly realistic...

Am I missing something there?

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org