[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 23:23:33 CET 2020

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 00:04, Benjamin TERRIER <b.terrier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > GDPR states that data collection shall be "limited to what is necessary".
>> > Requiring explicit consent for the user to provide data is not enough to be GDPR compliant.
>> > The required data has to be "necessary".
>>
>> That is one of six lawful bases for processing data. There are five
>> others. GDPR doesn't require all six
>> to apply, it requires at least one.
>

> I believe you are talking about article 6, I am talking about article 5 which does not have this "at least one" clause.

Correct. Necessary for specific purpose seems to be what article 5
requires, and then you get explicit consent for that
specific purpose, and GDPR's articles 5 and 6 are covered (of course
the rest of article 5's requirements need to be covered).
You're not necessarily going to like that specific purpose (or the
outcome of all this, including the consent query),
but GDPR requirements don't seem too difficult to fulfil, and there's
nothing particular in the new offering that would
instantly and obviously go even close to violating GDPR, based on my
layman reading of it. I don't think GDPR
will change the course of the offering, so if you want to change that
course, I think you need a different avenue
of argumentation.