[Development] Requesting a module for Qt5 classes that won't be maintained in Qt6

Alex Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Tue Jan 28 11:29:21 CET 2020

Sona Kurazyan wrote:
> Here are some candidates to be moved there in Qt 6 (see
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-80312):
>
>   *   QLinkedList
>   *   QRegExp
>   *   QStateMachine
>   *   QStringRef
>   *   QList
>   *   QJsonDocument::fromBinaryData()

>Can we have the XML SAX API in that module too? AIUI, Qt 6 will only include
>the XML stream API and the XML DOM API (the latter being ported from SAX to
>streams as the underlying implementation).

There is no clear cut answer here. The perception is that COMPAT5 should be used for things that are very commonly used. The question is how you measure common. At least in this case the answer is rather obvious when you compare the commonality of QList or QRegExp vs the XML SAX API.

To answer your question, yes, we could have that (and somebody needs to volunteer to do that) but there are lots of other API's out there which provide a similar service. Therefore my vote would go for "please don't"

--
Alex