[Development] Changes to Qt offering

ekke ekke at ekkes-corner.org
Tue Jan 28 12:01:39 CET 2020

Am 28.01.20 um 11:14 schrieb coroberti .:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:55 AM Konstantin Shegunov
> <kshegunov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The third change is that The Qt Company will in the future also offer a lower priced product for small businesses. That small business product is btw not limited to mobile like the one Digia had some years ago, but covers all of Qt for Device Creation.
>>
>> I see a couple of issues here. Firstly, 100k/year *turnover* isn't a small business, that's a nano-company (i.e. 1-2 devs max) and if they're providing a device alongside the software that 100k is going to be eaten in no time. Notice we are not talking profit here, but raw revenue. Whoever from sales came up with that number, really did a botched up job with it. On that note, even if we accept that it's applicable, the straightforward math shows you want to bill 0.5% - 2.5% of the total turnover, so while this sounds good initially it really isn't that shiny when you crunch the numbers. That offering is stillborn from my point of view.
> Agree with Konstantin that the definition of a small business isn't realistic.
> The realistic one is up to 5 developers and up 500k/year USD sales.

> So, hello, Qt-company, and consider to make something really friendly
> for small businesses ...

+1 Konstantin and coroberti

I'm only a single mobile app developer and for me it is ok with 100k and
$499/year

but I know many developers from small businesses (2-5 devs) and it's
really not realistic to think they have less 100k sales total per year ;-)

coroberti's idea (up 500k sales per year) covers the target (StartUp,
Small Business) much better and is something making it easier to
motivate mobile app devs to use Qt instead of Flutter, Xamarin, React or so.

please rethink your definition of StartUp / SmallBusiness to make this
license a success for Qt

ekke