[Development] Changes to Qt offering

Kyle Edwards kyle.edwards at kitware.com
Wed Jan 29 14:50:41 CET 2020

On Wed, 2020-01-29 at 13:44 +0000, Cristián Maureira-Fredes wrote:
> Hey Kyle,
>
> thanks for your answer,
> out of curiosity, are there some past business models
> that failed inside Kitware? or it has been support only since
> the beginning?
>
> What I'm trying to find out is that if maybe some aspects of what
> you tried, could be similar of what TQtC is trying now,
> so we have more information regarding the positive and negative
> aspects of such decisions.

As far as I know, it's always been an open model funded by support and
research contracts. What has changed is that we have significantly
expanded our areas of research - in the beginning it was primarily
scientific visualization, but we now do a lot of work in computer
vision, data/analytics, and software process (CMake + CDash).

Kyle