[Development] The future of smart pointers in Qt API

Vitaly Fanaskov vitaly.fanaskov at qt.io
Fri Jan 31 16:46:28 CET 2020

Well, I think there are at least two cases.

1) Objects managed by smart pointers not necessary to be QObjects. In
this case, everything is clear. We can use smart pointers without any
issues.

2) Current implementation of parent-child relationships. Daniel's patch
mentioned earlier in this thread is an example of how we can use smart
pointers with current parent-child model.

My personal opinion regarding 2, that it should be just properly
implemented with using smart pointers. However, it will be tough for
existing code bases to adopt it.

--
Best Regards,

Fanaskov Vitaly
Senior Software Engineer

The Qt Company / Qt Quick and Widgets Team