[Development] QProperty and library coding guide

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 15 22:20:33 CEST 2020

There's a flurry of changes going in right now about using QProperty in
QObject-derived classes. But before those begin being approved, I'd like to
see QProperty added to our library coding guide.

Specifically, I want the document to explain:

a) when QProperty should be used and when it shouldn't

b) names to apply to the property getters, setters, signals and property name

c) how to apply QProperty to your properties, when they may be read-only or
read-writeable, and how to create the change signal (if it carries the new
value or doesn't)

d) how to write code that is efficient, without double bookkeeping of data; if
this is not possible in all conditions, suggestions on how to minimise the
inefficiency. If there's anything class developers need to know about changing
the values of properties without triggering binding reevaluation unnecessary,
spell it out.

e) how to write code that is future-compatible with new properties being added
to the class without breaking binary compatibility

f) how to write code that is future-compatible with class internals changing,
such as changing the internal representation to be more efficient. Similarly,
how to use QProperty for properties that are only computed, like these in
QWidget:
    Q_PROPERTY(int x READ x)
    Q_PROPERTY(int y READ y)
    Q_PROPERTY(QPoint pos READ pos WRITE move DESIGNABLE false STORED false)
    Q_PROPERTY(QPoint pos READ pos WRITE move DESIGNABLE false STORED false)
    Q_PROPERTY(QSize frameSize READ frameSize)
    Q_PROPERTY(QSize size READ size WRITE resize DESIGNABLE false STORED
false)
    Q_PROPERTY(int width READ width)
    Q_PROPERTY(int height READ height)

In addition, I'd like someone to explain here:

1) how QProperty interacts (or fails to) with dynamic properties, such as QML,
ActiveQt or QtDBus.

2) if we need to complete transition to QProperty before Qt 6.0; if not,
explain how leaving some classes un-ported matches the library coding guide.

3) how QProperty is source-compatible with Qt 5 user code.

4) why this overhead is beneficial. For example, QWidget has 59 properties not
including QObject's, but including the computed ones. Does that mean we're
adding 59*8 = 472 bytes to 536-byte QWidgetPrivate, an 88% increase? [Note:
size already includes QString, QList and QByteArray's expansion to 24 bytes].