[Development] QProperty and library coding guide

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jul 17 17:50:12 CEST 2020

On Friday, 17 July 2020 02:05:48 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> Some older embedded toolchains don’t have the flag neither.

Then give them an option to opt out, at Qt configure time. That's a flag on
the same level as using -mfloat-abi=softfp instead of -mfloat-abi=hard or
using -stdlib=libc++ for Clang: completely ABI incompatible. But embedded
devices that build everything for the image in question can afford to make ABI
choices per version.

The same configure (ahem, cmake!) flag can be used to turn it on when it isn't
on by default. Such as when a new version of a compiler supports in 2021 or
later. Read: MSVC.

You may want to add this fact to archdetect.cpp (QSysInfo::buildAbi()). We can
also fix this automatically by having a variable that depends on the size of
QObject.

I'll just post this and let you ponder the consequences of this choice for
Linux:
https://godbolt.org/z/nhex5x