[Development] QProperty and library coding guide

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 22 18:18:30 CEST 2020

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 08:50:50 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> I still don’t understand why you think this should be necessary. All we need
> to do is clearly document that enabling/disabling the support for this
> feature is not binary compatible and make sure users don’t mix by accident.

First, I was talking about the defaults. Are we ok with those defaults? Are we
also ok with the communication that goes along with it? I don't want Linux
distributions that don't follow Qt development as closely to think they can
turn off [[no_unique_address]] support so they can use an older GCC, only to
find out later that they can't turn that back on.

Second, I don't want the option to turn *off* [[no_unique_address]] in GCC and
Clang. We have enough binary applications using Qt that get installed in Linux
systems that mixing plugins and libraries is bound to happen, with crashes
left and right. I am ok with adding an option to turn it on with MSVC and on
Apple OSes, since there's never a system-wide Qt in those. Possibly Android
too.

So the minimum version of GCC for Linux distributions must be 9.0.