[Development] QProperty and library coding guide

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 21:21:24 CEST 2020

Hi!

With my Debian Qt maintainer hat on: I want to stress everything that
Thiago mentioned in the cited below mail. Rebuilding the entire Qt
world in a distribution is a tremendous huge task. I'm afraid I can't
express the pain it is specially for libraries as popular as Qt... try
it yourself maybe? Change the SONAME and restart building Debian
unstable. Don't forget that that means the whole set of architectures
too. Oh, and that needs to be as fast as possible, Qt is so central in
many things that other stuff will end up waiting for it to finish.
Example: poppler can't be updated in the meantime. And that's just
poppler.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 19:11, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > In any case, I don't think either use case is an absolute reason for keeping
> > BC.
>
> It's a choice.
>
> But I warn against choosing to break too often.
>
> A few years ago, Gtk threatened to do that starting with Gtk 4:
> https://lwn.net/Articles/691131/
> https://blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2016/06/13/gtk-4-0-is-not-gtk-4/
> https://blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2016/06/14/gtk-5-0-is-not-gtk-5/
>
> They changed their minds.

When those news arose we Qt maintainers felt really really happy that
we maintain Qt, and that's because of BC.

Qt is already too big to maintain, especially if you are not being
paid for it. Break BC often and finding distro maintainers will be the
hardest thing to do.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/