[Development] QtWayland Compositor and marketplace

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 21:32:30 CEST 2020

Hi!

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 09:10, Pier Luigi Fiorini
<pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com> wrote:

> Il giorno gio 16 lug 2020 alle ore 10:11 Shawn Rutledge <shawn.rutledge at qt.io> ha scritto:
>>

>> > On 2020 Jul 6, at 18:57, Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I noticed that some modules are going into the marketplace, for example Qt Multimedia.
>> > Would you consider doing so for QtWayland Compositor?
>> >
>> > The compositor API would surely benefit from a faster release cycle.
>> >
>> > Getting new protocols and updates sooner instead of every 6 months would be great.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> I’m dubious about whether the release cycle would really be faster that way.  Continuing to include it in the release every 6 months probably adds more motivation to keep fixing things regularly, rather than slowing it down.
>>
>> Otherwise, do you have examples of ongoing changes that really shouldn’t wait until the next release?
>>
>> It’s currently possible to build from git.  (And I hope it remains that way.)  “Releases” are artificial flag days, from one side; in practice, Linux distros tend to wait for them, but it doesn’t have to be that way.

At least on Debian: it is *not* the release tag but the fact of no BC
for private stuff. And many packages use Qt's private headers. And
rebuilding them is a pain, even if you have the beefiest machines
around. Thiago explained it quite clearly in a recent mail.

And yes, that's exactly why we do our best to keep the amount of
private headers available as low as possible, ideally only the ones
needed to build Qt submodules themselves.

A wish for Qt 6 (too late for that I guess): do not require private
headers in order for Plasma o LXDE to provide their own theming.