[Development] Switch the main "Qt Build System"

Alexandru Croitor alexandru.croitor at qt.io
Tue Jun 9 10:41:44 CEST 2020

Hi Andy,

I'll acknowledge that the current Qt Creator <-> Build Qt with CMake situation is sub-par.

Though, I believe there is a sketchy config to allow you to use a released Qt Creator to develop Qt.

Putting that aside, how long should we wait then?

I'm not sure if we can afford to delay the switch for much longer, for many reasons:

- I don't know how long it would take to improve Creator to do "the right thing".
- The Qt releasing team needs to start creating and testing packages based on the CMake-built Qt
- Developers are burdened with maintaining 2 build systems (not just the CMake port team, but also other developers doing regular Qt6.0 work)

We have to bite the bullet at some point.