[Development] Switch the main "Qt Build System"

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:47:24 CEST 2020

On 09/06/2020 05.05, Alexandru Croitor wrote:
> On 09/06/2020 04.38, Shawn Rutledge wrote: >> At least json is easier to parse, if we try to write other tooling.>
 > That's true. But using tooling to forever generate cmake files from
> json also comes with its downsides (maintenance, inability to express
> certain constructs, people forgetting to use it, etc).
>
> Personally I think having one source of truth is better. And I think
> tooling for parsing cmake files will appear in time as well.

Alternatively: teach CMake to parse the .json directly.

I think it would make sense for CMake to have some abilities to consume
and manipulate JSON from CMake script¹, maybe even to use JSON as a
replacement for the current CMakeCache.txt. (I would *definitely* like
to see a JSON replacement for how CMake exports targets.) I think you
might find upstream surprisingly amenable *if* someone is willing to do
the work.

(¹ ...or from something that *replaces* CMake script. Folks have been
talking about that for ages, but it comes down to a) agreeing what to
use, and b) SHTDI. If someone had a *viable* proposal for replacing²
CMake script, I think you'd find the developers ***very*** interested.)

(² Technically, I should say "supplementing", since CMake script needs
to stick around for backwards compatibility.)

--
Matthew