[Development] Switch the main "Qt Build System"

Bogdan Vatra bogdan.vatra at kdab.com
Wed Jun 10 08:07:55 CEST 2020

În ziua de marți, 9 iunie 2020, la 21:31:17 EEST, Thiago Macieira a scris:
> On Tuesday, 9 June 2020 01:26:12 PDT Alexandru Croitor wrote:
> > > On 9. Jun 2020, at 10:17, Jean-Michaël Celerier
> > > <jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > To simplify this step, is there / could there be maybe a
> > > -DQT_BUILD_TOOLS_ONLY that would just generate... well, moc, uic, rcc
> > > and
> > > a couple other friends required for a cross-build ?
> >
> > I think that should technically be possible, but I have doubts about it.
> >
> > Not all tools are "bootstrap" tools anymore, which means for uic you need
> > to build QtCore (same for qmake actually).
>
> The whole point of not bootstrapping the tools for cross compilation is to
> remove as much as we can of the bootstrapping. Right now in 5.15, the only
> tools that really need bootstrapping are qmake and moc. And for 6.0 once the
> build system switch is merged, we can proceed to un-bootstrap qmake too and
> that removes one full level of bootstrapping.
>
> That will leave us with only moc needing bootstrapping. We can therefore
> remove libQt5Bootstrap.a and minimise the amount of work needed to keep the
> bootstrap working.

  In this case why did you all had the super strict requirement list when we
talked about using qbs as the build system for Qt 6? And why now you are so
understanding and flexible with all the missing pieces from cmake?

  There are host tools that are not very forward or backward compatible (e.g.
androiddeployqt) which might require a specific Qt version as it knows how to
deal with a specific input files...

Cheers,
BogDan.