[Development] Switch the main "Qt Build System"

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 10 18:28:37 CEST 2020

On Wednesday, 10 June 2020 04:35:51 PDT Dominik Holland wrote:
> > Strictly speaking, you don't have to build Qt twice. You can use your
> > system's packaged Qt, or Conan or Homebrew or one of the binary builds
> > from qt.io as the other. If you don't intend to develop it, you can use
> > the regular, release builds made by others.
>
> Mhh but that only works if your system have packaged the same Qt version
> isn't it ? I'm talking about future changes/new features of moc which
> might be needed by newer Qt versions.

See my reply to Bogdan. We should not require exact same version. We may need
to require "not newer"

Qt needs to continue supporting older moc-generated code that was compiled
into libraries and applications and ditto for rcc, uic. So there's little
reason why the version of those tools has to be the exact same.

Being newer could be a problem.