[Development] Patching QtWebView to use QtWebkit "rebooted"?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 10:11:50 CEST 2020

On Thursday June 11 2020 04:31:59 Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

>Whole point of QtWebView is to use platform specific backends on platforms where they do exist, at the cost of limited API. If you need to use platform-specific backends and want to replace QtWebEngine on platforms with no "native" browser component, it might make sense.

I couldn't yet find a description of the reason(s) behind QtWebView, but given the similarity between the WebView classes from it and from QtWebkit you'd almost think that QtWebView was written as a replacement that uses QtWebEngine as a backend unless it shouldn't (and that seems to be only on Mac).

There's no such thing as a native browser component on Linux. Maybe if you look at the DE level that GNOME has such a thing ... and using that would probably mean reopening a discussion we had before (about webkit2-gtk) ;)

Is possible in QML to "proxy" QtWebkit's WebView class, adding just the few missing things to it, without taking a significant performance hit?

R.