[Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Corey Pendleton Corey.Pendleton at qt.io
Mon Jun 15 19:01:37 CEST 2020

Hi Max,
I get the issues as you present them. Why drop support for the 2nd most popular OS version out there?! This also doubles the effort required for Qt developers who want to target older systems with Qt 6 apps. That is certainly a pain point! There are couple more thoughts I've had after reviewing your excellent metrics.

1. Currently Win 7 usage is declining at a little over 1% per month based on the articles you shared. This indicates that by the time Qt 6.2 (the next LTS) is released next year, Win 7 usage will most likely drop below MacOS, and further, it will be mostly gone by the time 5.15 LTS support ends (IF trends continue). This leads me to believe that the majority of Qt app developers could safely branch, or else delay migration to Qt 6 for a few more months in order to give the majority of their customers time to move with the industry. As a cross-platform framework, we do have to consider the "most common" usage scenarios first. But I can tell you understand this.
2. It may be completely possible for customers to build a version of Qt that still works with Windows 7! The key point would be that the onus moves to the Qt developers who need this support to do their own build. This is extra effort, but there seem to be only a few particular APIs that Qt is looking to remove support for. If an app doesn't use these APIs, this would not be a problem. Or you could revert a few patches and do a custom build for Win7.

Ok, 3 thoughts. 😊
I think it's worth noting in addition to what Eddy shared, the Qt team did a pretty decent job of responding to the concerns raised on that QTBUG in spite of the fact that it was not intended as a feedback mechanism. We recognize that any big shift in support causes pain for the development community. Some more than others. And yet, in order to move forward we must all face the pain of evolution (to wax a little philosophical 😉 ). Making the majority of these breaks happen with a Major version release makes the most sense as it consolidates this pain into one point in time hopefully making the OVERALL experience of developing and maintaining Qt projects over time, as smooth and painless as possible.

Thanks again to all our great developers for all the insightful discussion shared here!
Corey Pendleton
Senior Solutions Engineer, Americas