[Development] Windows 7 support will be dropped in Qt 6

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 20:04:40 CEST 2020

On 16/06/2020 13.37, Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 20:27, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> Edward Welbourne wrote:
>>> Kevin Kofler (16 June 2020 12:08)
>>>
>>> and I guess it's been in Qt for several releases now, so why would
>>> someone with those needs care about upgrading to Qt 6 ?
>>
>> Because all KDE applications will have to get ported to Qt 6 soon.
>
> Why?

...because if they aren't, they won't get security fixes. (Because Qt 5
is no longer maintained. Note that "LTS" isn't maintenance for Free
Software, because it won't be available. This is one of the examples
where TQtC appears to have gone FLOSS-hostile. The other major one is
turning into registrationware.)

Also, because if they aren't, the user needs to have two complete
software stacks installed, and those stacks will likely have various
incompatibilities, or at least aesthetic inconsistencies (which are
annoying to users). (This assumes that KDE will even *allow* multiple
versions to be co-installed.)

--
Matthew