[Development] QtWayland future

Pier Luigi Fiorini pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 23:43:59 CET 2020

Il giorno gio 27 feb 2020 alle ore 15:49 Tor Arne Vestbø <
Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io> ha scritto:

> Hi Pier!
>
> First of all I’d like to strongly echo your thanks to Johan for his
> amazing work on QtWayland!
>
> The module is important to us as well, and we’d like to see it continued.
> As of now we do not have a dedicated person to take over Johan's work, but
> this is something we’re looking to address.
>
> In the interim, Eskil will be our point of contact, as discussed here:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/20#note_419952,
> and our graphics team, who has many people with Wayland experience, will
> follow up anything that comes up.
>
> What are the things you see on the horizon for Qt 6?

There are different topics, there are already a couple of epics:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-64598
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-68847

plus off the top of my head:

- implement missing protocols like pointer constraints/relative motion
(started working on it: qtwayland code should be in good shape, needs to
clarify how does qtgui changes work on other platforms)
- possibly a better API for WaylandOutput modes from QML
- allow to set frame margins for client-side decorations (this is related
to QWindow and xdg-shell, probably other platforms too)

There are also some notes from QtCS '19:
https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Contributors_Summit_2019_-_Qt_Wayland_Client_and_extensions

--
https://liri.io
An OS and apps built with modern design and features